Amanda Bacchus, M.S.W., R.S.W., R.P., R.M.F.T
Amanda is the founder and director of the Vaughan Relationship Centre. As a compassionate therapist, she believes in finding realistic, individual solutions that fit her clients’ day to day life. With over 20 years of experience as a helping professional, she understands the challenges her clients struggle with and is living her passion to help others.
Amanda loves working with couples. She enjoys the journey of helping couples figure out how they get stuck in the same argument over and over again and is invested in seeing her clients improve their relationships. Being married, with a young family, Amanda appreciates the struggles that many families face and how conflict can arise in relationships.
Amanda understands that not all couples are ready for counselling. Sometimes one partner wants some support, other times, someone is struggling with aspects of the relationship and wants to figure things out without worrying or upsetting their partner. Amanda has been helpful to individuals in sorting through issues of their relationship.
She discovered that passion of hers early on. When she was 16 years old, Amanda was working with children with various disabilities and speaking to children on a children’s helpline. Amanda was drawn to the professional after overcoming her own struggles as a child. Not wanting others to struggle with upset feelings, Amanda ensured that her educational path and employment enhanced her abilities to be helpful to others. Her life experiences help in being understanding and can put herself in the shoes of others.
On a professional level, Amanda believes in continuous training to better serve her clients. In addition to attending regular training, Amanda seeks out regular consultation.
Counselling approach: Amanda likes using humor when appropriate in her sessions. She works collaboratively with her clients because she knows that if the solution does not fit her client’s needs, change cannot be sustained. So she invites her clients’ input throughout the therapeutic process. Amanda equally cares about both sides of the situation and wants to see her clients improve the circumstances that are creating distress.
Specialized focus on:
- Couples Counselling/ Marital Counselling
- Anger Management
- Having the same argument over and over again
- Family Counselling with teens or adult children and parents
- Sex Therapy (related to intimacy issues)
- Individual counselling with relationships
Other areas of interest:
- Work-related issues
Amanda uses a variety of effective psychotherapies and counselling techniques, such as:
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Gottman Method
- Narrative Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Masters of Social Work (M.S.W.)
- Accreditation from the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A) Specializing in Psychology
Professional associations & designations:
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Ontario Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT)
- Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW)