Melissa Devlin, M.S.W., R.S.W.
Melissa is a creative therapist with more than ten years of experience as a registered Social Worker. Melissa values that everybody is unique, and knows how important it is that we all feel heard and respected. She believes that each and every one of us are trying our best in life and in relationships, and that by reaching out for support we can maximize our success and fulfillment in these areas.
Melissa’s communication style is informal, and she does not shy away from talking about uncomfortable topics. At times she uses humour to help individuals and couples remember that although life can be hard, there are endless opportunities for joy and laughter. Melissa wants to help you reconnect and experience these things together.
Whether you and your partner seek to rebuild trust and intimacy, or to avoid having the same argument again, and again, Melissa believes it is possible to achieve these goals through honest communication, sharing, and the first step – reaching out for help.
Specialized focus on:
- Couples counselling
- Sex therapy
- Family counselling
- LGBTQ relationships
- Intimate partner violence
Other areas of interest:
- Anxiety / Panic attacks
- Autism / Asperger’s
- End of life, including Medical Assistance in Dying (M.A.I.D.)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Parenting / Aging parents
Counselling approaches and techniques:
- Emotionally-focused therapy
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy
- Brief solution-focused therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Strengths-based counselling
- Feminist counselling
- Master of Social Work (Wilfrid Laurier University)
- Bachelor of Science, Major: Psychology (McMaster University)
Professional designations and associations:
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW)